Monday 30 August 2010

Weavers - Haworth

I don’t usually go to a restaurant without any type of research as in the past I have had my fingers quite badly burned (or should that be my tongue?).

Having gone away for some girly time with the Mother I let her book a restaurant for our first night in Haworth and went to it blind, but thankfully not to the slaughter.

Weavers in Haworth is tucked up off the main, cobbled street at the top of the hill in an old house, quite unassuming from the outside. Walking in we were seated in a waiting area by the bar and offered drinks: a lovely slate floored room filled mainly by the bar, decorated tastefully with unusual bits and bobs, giving the eye something to digest whilst we absorbed the menu and waited for the meal to be ready (at Weavers you are not shown to the table until your food is near to being served) – my only grumbles being the cold from the door we were seated near and the lack of cucumber for the gin, I did get ice and tonic with so can’t be too picky.

Weavers Haworth - with thanks to the dailymail.co.uk

In comparison to the light but small bar area, the dining room at Weavers is very low light and sumptuous with its crisp linen and dusky burgundy walls.  The room still has a very relaxed feeling and this helped by the charming, attentive and unobtrusive staff. Our waitress was brilliant, even allowing us to try a wine off the list before we chose. (and so nice she let us sneak in the next day and peek at the bedrooms upstairs – if you can get in do, they are very lovely).

Bread was served as we sat down with fresh, salty butter – proper butter, proper salty butter, none of this health conscious stuff and was I glad of it? You bet.

To start I had ordered the carpaccio of salmon cured with whiskey and dill off the specials and the Mother ordered Morcombe Bay shrimps on toast. The carpaccio was lovely and smooth but I couldn’t taste the whiskey, merely the dill – however it was a pleasing dish with a light, fresh and capery dressing that contrasted beautifully in taste and texture. Mother’s Shrimps on toast was a large portion of the little local beauties served in a lovely spiced butter with flecks of parsley stirred in to it that brought the taste to life on the tongue. The toast was crisp and provided the perfect foil for the hundreds of soft bodies piled up.

Mains followed and we both ordered the fillet medallions of outdoor reared pork, carcklin’ belly,  sticky fruit chutney and crushed organic potatoes.

Medallions of outdoor reared pork and cracklin' belly

When the dish came we were both struck by the delicate presentation – for a plate that contained so much pork it was presented delicately and beautifully. The pork medallion was juicy and not dry in the slightest. I was hesitant about the chutney sauce but was relieved to find it deeply satisfying with a huge depth of favour and was almost a gravy. It complimented the succulent pork amazingly and was subtly spiced with layers of not too sweet flavour and that all important umami.

The belly pork came replete with some of the best crackling I have ever crunched my way through – seasoned expertly and as crisp as it can be, without being burnt or having been speedily finished under the grill giving it that usual polystyrene texture as you get in some restaurants. The pork itself was meltingly tender with only the smallest amount of fat remaining. I was left wanting so much more (although I don’t think my waistline was crying out for anymore). The dish was accompanied by crispy strips of pancetta and crushed organic new potatoes that had chopped parsley crushed in with them – a really refreshing note that lifted the dish to no end. 

Even though my belly was bursting I couldn’t resist the pudding board and however tempted I was to try the Yorkshire Tea ice cream, it was the summer berry and champagne jelly that seemed like the much needed light end to a deeply satisfying meal and I wasn’t disappointed.

Champagne jelly

The jelly was perfectly set with a generous portion of seasonal berries suspended delightfully throughout its wobbly persona. What really took my breath away was the concentration of taste. Like no other champagne jelly I have eaten in any restaurant, this jelly imparted the crispest, biscuity tang of champagne and I could feel the fizz of the bubbles tickle across my tongue whilst just the right level of sweetness flowed into my mouth and caressed my taste buds – here was a jelly I could taste at last! No more ‘champagne jelly’ that tastes of nothing, it was a revelation and I was actually in ecstasy whilst spooning the soft, unctuous delight in to my eagerly awaiting mouth – my only complaint? I couldn’t finish it.

Cost for two starters, two mains, one pudding, one bottle of wine, two gin and tonics and two coffees - £91.70

Value for money: 8/10
Atmosphere: 7/10
Service: 9/10
Food: 8/10

Total: 32/40

Weavers restaurant and bar with rooms, 15 West Lane, Haworth, Nr Keighly, West Yorkshire, BD22 8DU –
01535 643822
weaversltd@btconnect.com


Weavers on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment